“Unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.”
Ask the Lord to inspire your heart and guide your steps with principles from His Word.
Prayer of a Good and Faithful Servant
Lord, the earth and everything in it is yours! (Psalm 24:1) Everything comes from you, and I have given you only what comes from your hand (1 Chronicles 29:14). You send poverty and wealth (1 Samuel 2:7). Have you not put a hedge around me and my household and everything I have? (Job 1:10)
Father, in your Word you said it is required that those who have been given a trust must prove faithful (1 Corinthians 4:2). And so Lord, I want to honor you with my wealth (Proverbs 3:9). I know that faith, if not accompanied by action, is dead (James 2:17). But unless I respond in love, I gain nothing (1 Corinthians 13:3). I am willing and my heart is moved to bring an offering to you Lord (Exodus 35:21).
Lord, you’ve called me to provide for my family (1 Timothy 5:8). And to provide for those who have instructed me in your Word (Galatians 6:6). And to share with your people who are in need (Romans 12:13). And to make disciples of all nations (Matthew 28:19). And so may my service of giving to you – during and after my lifetime – supply the needs of your people and overflow in many expressions of thanks to you (2 Corinthians 9:12), so that one day I’ll hear you say to me, “Well done, good and faithful servant.” (Matthew 25:23). For it’s in the mighty name of Jesus I pray. Amen.
What Does God Say About Providing for My Family?
- Make provision for your loved ones. “Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.” (1 Timothy 5:8)
- Take steps to avoid interpersonal conflicts. “Whoever brings ruin on their family will inherit only wind, and the fool will be servant to the wise.” (Proverbs 11:29)
- Be cautious about leaving large inheritances to children. “An inheritance claimed too soon will not be blessed at the end.” (Proverbs 20:21)
- Don’t store up excess resources you don’t need. “Then he said, ‘This is what I’ll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store my surplus grain.” (Luke 12:18)
- Use family resources to reach people for Christ. “It is God Who gives seed to the man to plant. He also gives the bread to eat. Then we know He will give you more seed to plant and make it grow so you will have more to give away.” (2 Corinthians 9:10)
- Learn more about making a will
- Learn more about Charitable Gift Annuities
- Why use Donor Advised Funds
- Use our Ethical Will worksheet
- IRS benefits of giving
- How You Can Create a More Certain Future
- Trusting God Through the Storms of Life
- 3 Ways to Make Your Life Count Today
- How to Stop Worrying and Find Peace
If you feel moved to help support our program, head over to our Get Involved page to learn how you can make a difference in someone’s life here in Yakima, WA.